Tuesday, March 22, 2011

5k Tips for Beginners

This past weekend I participated in my first 5k race. Although I am a trainer, I sometimes struggle with motivation issues too. Running is where I struggle the most. I knew if I didn’t sign up for a race and tell people I was doing it, I would never do it. So, I signed up and I did it. Here are some tips for others who have a 5k as their goal.

  1. Start Training! Just start doing something. If you haven’t exercised in a long time, you can still start by walking. If you are a more dedicated runner, then start pushing yourself.
  2. Find a race and sign up! If you commit to it, you are more likely to follow through. Find a few finds to sign up too.
  3. Set an appropriate goal. If you are a beginner, then maybe your goal is to finish. If you are more advanced, set a goal that you have a chance to reach, but pushes you to train hard. You probably won’t see any 5 min miles.
  4. Vary your training intensity. Mix running (or jogging) with walking to boost your intensity. This is also called interval training and it works the same for beginning and elite athletes. Example: Run or jog as fast as you can for about 30 seconds, then walk a minute to recover and repeat another 30 second interval.
  5. Get on a strength training program. Lifting weights helps improve strength, power, muscle endurance, muscle tone and helps prevent injuries.
  6. Stretch! Stretch! Stretch! Keep those muscles nice and loose.
  7. Nutrition! Eat smaller meal throughout the day to keep your energy up. Make sure you fuel your body before and after your workouts.
  8. Have fun!

Enjoy life – Workout!

Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment